At NDBC we believe that God’s renewing work is evidenced in our rich and storied history,
which displays the faithfulness of God,
for over a century,
on Staten Island and throughout the world.
– Initial meetings were held in homes in the New Dorp area, exploring the possibility of planting a church –
– Storefront services were held on Sunday evenings –
– Sunday School was begun –
April 9, 1905
– New Dorp Baptist Church founded with twelve original members, with the following Resolution –
Resolved, that, guided as we believe by the Holy Spirit, and relying on the blessing of God, we do, here and now, by this Act, constitute ourselves a Church of Jesus Christ to perform His service, and to be governed by His will, as revealed in the New Testament.”
– New Dorp Baptist Church incorporated –
– Church Covenant adopted –
– Due to the effects of World War 1, services are temporarily discontinued –
– Services continued, considerable growth ensues –
– Dedication of current building on the corner of Rose Avenue and Tenth Street –
– First full-time missionary commissioned –
– Celebration of 50th anniversary –
– Groundbreaking for current school building –
– Major sanctuary renovation –
– Nursery School begins, significant growth ensues leading to the founding of New Dorp Christian Academy –
– New Dorp Christian Academy celebrates first 8th grade graduation –
– Celebration of 90th anniversary –
New Dorp Baptist Church continues to rely on and experience the blessing of God.
– Gathering and growing on Staten Island –
– Going to the lost in the United States and on three other continents –
– Partnering with Pregnancy Care Center (care for the unborn), Voice of the Martyrs (persecuted church), and Wycliffe Bible Translators (unreached peoples) –
We believe that God has called us to gather regularly to express our love and appreciation for all He has done and is doing among us and through us. We also gather to love, encourage, and strengthen one another through the mutual exercise of the gifts God has given to each of His followers.
We believe that every genuine Christian will grow in their likeness and obedience to Jesus Christ, through the means that He has so graciously provided. This is what the Word of God refers to as making disciples. We are blessed by God to be His instruments for real change in the lives of His followers.
We believe that God desires to display His beauty and glory to all humankind. To that end, joining God in the renewal of all things through Jesus Christ means that we are to go and tell others, locally and globally, about the good news of salvation for the forgiveness of sin. This is a costly call, requiring a sacrificial lifestyle, forfeiting short-term pleasures for eternal rewards.